Thursday, April 23, 2009

Raising Boys....

For those of you who don't know, I grew up in a family of girls. We outnumbered my Dad, four to one. I knew nothing of boys. My biggest fear was one day having a boy. What would I do with him? Not to mention, the thought of changing a baby boys diaper...how would I possibly do that?

God blessed me with a wonderful, beautiful baby boy! He took away all of my fears and showed me, that you don't see gender. You just see a beautiful being that you created. No words can describe the love you feel for this new person. I cannot imagine life without Ryder. In fact, every morning I tell him..."Mommy missed you while you were sleeping!". Then I give him a huge hug and say, "What in the World would I do without you?". He was not born with the cuddle gene, but I can guarantee he will always lean in for a kiss on the cheek after I say those words.

I struggle with the wonders of whether I am doing the right things for him. Am I teaching him in a way so that he will grow into an honorable Man? Am I nurturing him enough? I want him to be tough and know he is strong, but I also want him to be gentle and loving. I want him to understand how to treat women. At the end of the day, all I can do is love him and pray for the strength to guide him in the right direction. Now, I'll be saying this prayer for two little monsters.

I always hear people say, "Every Mom needs a girl, so that they have someone to talk and shop with....". When I got pregnant this time, it seems like the only comment I ever heard was..."Maybe it will be a girl this time!". It was almost as if I was under some form of evil curse for ever having a boy in the first place. I know that was not the intentions of what was being said...and I have to admit that I even held onto a little glimmer of hope that I would get to buy big bows to stick on my bald baby's head.

This is all I can say; even though I may not have anyone to shop with....I will have three amazing boys in my life that I cherish with all my heart. My prayer is that my little boys will grow to love and respect me. That they will always know I am here for whatever they need, even when they are grown. And I rest assured, that my big boy will love me even more when I have sagging skin and silver hair than he does today.

I am so thankful for this new Blessing God has given us, a very healthy and perfect little baby boy. He still has some growing to do the next five months. I give thanks for his bill of good health yesterday and I pray that he continues on this path. I know he will be an Angel when he arrives and in a couple of years this blog will most likely become a huge comedy on the craziness that two boys can rain down on a family!

5 comments:

eleventhirtysix images said...

Yay! A boy! So happy for you guys...

Anonymous said...

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! i'm typing while holding tatum-sorry it's a mess! The joys of seeing Ryder as a big brother will be equally awesome no matter the gender. For me, the coolest part about having Tatum is not that she's a girl...it's that she's an entirely new personality with different likes, dislikes and little quirks. I'm so excited for you to become a momma to two!!! Now... names? Ryder is an awesome name, what will you follow it up with?

Oh.. and the bow thing... WAAAY over-rated. ;-)

Misty Rice said...

Okay so you may or may not really believe this but I promise you its the truth. I "felt" it was a boy.... but then I doubted myself and figured you were being so private about it that it must be a girl, so I ran with that one.

In truth I was really thinking how cute it would be you having a little girl, but seeing you with Ryder, you are so good with boys.

I know your thoughts...becuase I wanted a boy so bad and then I had Hunter. I wanted another boy SO BAD and when I was told I was having a boy I was so excited. When I was then told he was a SHE instead, I cried. I was happy but disappointed. ME with a girl? It just didn't seem like it was for me.

Now? WOW.... It is so me. She is so mine and I so love her very much.

You are a great mommy. Get the book "Power of a Praying Parent"....its awesome and leads you into prayers you wouldn't ever think of for your chidlren.

Congratulations!!!

And beautiful post!

Mary said...

I love this post-what a sweet mom you are!! I must say I was a little sad to not have another boy...so was Sean! There's something about the phrase-"the boys" that is so endearing :) honestly what the last three gals have said are what I would add...just re-read those comments! God has clearly gifted you to be a boys momma!

Queen of Cute said...

You have such a way with words and really have a talent. I have told you that before when I read a few of your entries on your old myspace page. I enjoy reading your blog.

Congratulations on another boy! I'm sure they will fight like cats and dogs in the early years, but will become best friends later on in life. That's what I'm hoping for mine anyway. At times, my boys get along great and then at other times, I want to give them some boxing gloves. :)

Have a great rest of the week!
~Kim