Thursday, April 2, 2009

Why I should NOT bake banana bread....


....because I seriously ate the entire loaf myself! I can't resist the stuff...it is so yummy!

Yesterday and Today I have had to work all day...a rarity for me these days. Ryder stayed with his Grandma yesterday (What a Blessing), but today was home with me. The poor little guy came down with Pink eye yesterday and is spending the day at home and away from other people...so that we don't contaminate the world.

He has been such a trooper playing in his playroom while I have been pounding away on the computer! Meanwhile, I have made 5 trips back and forth to the kitchen and on my last trip I noticed the entire loaf of banana bread I made late last night is gone. I realize that the entire process of going into the kitchen, cutting another small sliver and putting it in my mouth is what makes the bread disappear...but it is really kind of embarassing! Thankfully, I was weighed at the Doctor yesterday and have four whole weeks to burn it off before I step on the scale of doom again.

At any rate...no more work until Matt gets home tonight...I am going to give my little man some attention, and NO MORE BANANA BREAD! Thank goodness it is gone! Here is the recipe I use should you want to partake in its sinfulness!

Ingredients

  • 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour (I use Whole Wheat)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar (I half this up and do part Splenda/part Sugar)
  • 2 eggs (Eggbeaters can be substituted here)
  • 1/2 cup oil (Applesauce can be substituted here)
  • 3 1/2 bananas, very ripe, mashed
  • 2 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped

Directions

Set oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a loaf pan with parchment paper.

Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Beat sugar and eggs with a whisk until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Drizzle in oil. Add mashed bananas, creme fraiche, and vanilla. Fold in dry ingredients and nuts. Pour into a lined loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

3 comments:

eleventhirtysix images said...

Man, I can never pass up a new banana bread recipe.

*sigh*

Looks like I'll be making this soon.

Amber Connors said...

Breads like that don't last long at our house either. :-)

Janelle said...

That looks so yummy! And I laughed when you said you ate the whole loaf - I could do the same!