Wednesday, May 15, 2013

My Dad

This is my Dad and my Husband.  I don't know what I'd do without either of them.

Monday night I took a phone call from my Mom that took the wind out of me. I couldn't catch my breath, I grabbed my keys and got in the car.  I drove praying the entire way.   My Dad had collapsed at work and was very dizzy.  He had a stroke. It was a small stroke to the lower cerebral part of his brain.   Within a few hours he was walking again and his speech had recovered.  We were very lucky.

In case you didn't know this...we'd be lost without you.  You've always been there.
You left work and came straight to our ball games without even eating dinner.
You sat at the kitchen counter and did Math homework with us after working 10-hour days.
You quizzed us on the night before big tests.
You are the best puke cleaner upper/wet wash cloth giver in the world.
You're a good cook and always made us laugh when you said you were going to make a "dump" cake.
You used to chew tobacco when you mowed the grass and bribed me with Circus Peanuts to keep me from telling Mom.
You took me to college and walked the entire campus with me, my schedule, and a map the week before school started.
You bought a old junker truck to drive, so I could have a nice car at college.  When the junker got stolen off the parking lot while you were at work, you and Mom just drove each other to work instead of taking my car.
In a 3-year period you lost your entire immediate family...and never once did I see you feeling sorry for yourself...do you know how strong you are?
 You walked me down the aisle and you were there when both of the boys were born...even driving 2-hours after working all day to see Rustin late at night.

I guess what I'm saying is I love you to the moon and back...I couldn't ask for a better Daddy...and I want you here for a lot longer.   Don't do this to us again...take your medicine and listen to the Doctor and remember We love you!!!

3 comments:

Abbey said...

Oh girlie.... such sweet words!!!!! Praying for your Dad and for you!!!! ((HUGS))

Janelle said...

Oh wow! I'm glad he's okay. We are too young to have our parents age like this, right?!?! Such a sweet post about your Dad.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet and touching post Joy...and how scary! Glad your dad is okay!